Friday, April 23, 2010

More discussion!

Yesterday the reading and discussion went very well! This was the first time I had students read their own discussion questions during discussion. I wanted my students to become confident in their ability to formulate and ask good open-ended discussion questions. I structured this by first having students answer teacher-generated questions, then using student-generated questions in various ways, then having students ask their questions right after they write them.


What was also good practice for my students was the limited amount of time they had formulating their discussion questions. There were two students who were having trouble thinking of some, but it appeared that they were simply unmotivated, even though they knew that they would have to ask their questions during discussion. I handled this by redirecting students to the text and reminded them that they can pick out specific dialogue or a specific event and ask a question about it (instead of an "overall" question).

No comments:

Post a Comment